Muslim Community Leaders Criticise PM Modi Over Taking Part In Ram Temple 'Shilanyas'
NEW DELHI, AUGUST 5—Senior Muslim community leaders, while criticising Prime Minister Narendra Modi for performing the ‘bhoomipuan’or ‘shilanyas’ (foundation laying) ceremony for the Ram Temple in Ayodhya on Wednesday, have asserted that “Babri Masjid was a mosque and will always remain a mosque”.
In a joint statement released on Wednesday, they also appealed Muslims “to remain steadfast on the path of patience, fortitude and wisdom that it has treaded in the past”.
The ‘shilanyas’ was performed at the same site where the Babri Masjid once stood in its full glory and ‘namaz’or ‘salat’ was performed in its premises till the night of December 22, 1949 when idols were surreptitiously installed in it. It was after this that the ‘namaz’ was not allowed in it and through a series of administrative and legal procedures, the mosque was usurped after the Supreme Court in November 2019 adjudicated in favour of the temple despite accepting that it was a mosque and it was not constructed on the debris of any Hindu place of worship.
The community leaders noted that the Muslim community respected the Supreme Court’s judgement. “But the tragedy is that while the apex court conceded that all the evidences and proof are in favour of the Masjid but it ruled in favour of the Mandir”.
“This injustice was not only felt by the justice-loving people and organizations all over the world and in our own country but it was also severely criticized”, the Muslim leaders pointed out.
“We, too, express our disagreement with this judgment. This verdict is a festering wound for the community and the nation”, they pointed out.
“The other tragedy”, they said, “is that the Prime Minister of our secular and democratic nation, who took an oath over the Constitution of India, also participated in the ‘shilanayas’ ceremony”.
“The resources of the government and the government-media are being utilized with complete impunity”, they remarked.
“We feel that this approach is a blatant violation of the Constitution of India and the secular ethos of the nation and it will increase the polarization within society”, they observed.
“We have been appealing to the conscience of the people in the past and shall In S haAllah continue to do so in the future. We hope that the people with conscience in our country shall not condone this tendency of violating the secular ethos of our nation”, they hoped.
Signatories to the statement are:
1. Maulana Wali Rahmani, General Secretary, All India Muslim Personal Law Board
2. Syed Sadatullah Hussaini, President, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind
3. Maulana Tauqeer Raza, President, Muslim Ittehad Parishad, Bareilly
4. Navaid Hamid, President, All India Muslim Majlis Mushawarat
5. Dr Mufti Muhammad Mukarram, Shahi Imam, Masjid Fatehpuri, Delhi
6. Dr. Zafarul Islam Khan, former Chairman, Delhi Minorities Commission
7. Dr. Muhammad Manzoor Alam, General Secretary, All India Milli Council
8. Dr. Qasim Rasool Ilyas, President, Welfare Party of India
9. Maulana Khaleelur Rahman Sajjad Nomani, Sajjada Nashin Khanqah Nomaniya, Neral, Maharashtra
10. Maulana Jalal Haider, President, All India Shia Council
11. Mufti Abdul Razzaq, President, Jamiat Ulema Hind, Delhi
12. Maulana Muhammad Salman Hussaini Nadvi, Nazim Jamia Sayyed Ahmed Shaheed, Malihabad, Lucknow
13. Abdus Salam, Chairman PFI
14. M K Faiz, President SDPI
15. Dr. Tasleem Rahmani, President MPCI
16. Maulana Peer Sayyed Tanveer Ahmed Hashmi, Sajjada Nashin Khanqah Hasmiya, Bijapur, Karnataka
17. Maulana Shabbir Ahmed Nadvi, Nazim, Jamiat us Swalehat, Bengaluru.